Tuesday, August 17, 2010

To Some I am Aunt Bonnie, to others I am Lalo

Not coming from a large family, I have only one niece and one nephew. Neither were taught to call me Aunt before my given name. They both just call me Bonnie. My cousin David's children, which are my second cousins (I think), were taught to call me Aunt Bonnie, go figure. My grandchildren, of which I have two, a boy (12) and a girl (15) both call me Lalo. I know, strange. When my granddaughter was first learning to talk it seems I was always telling her "Grandma loves you." She would try to say love you and it came out la loo. When I would prompt her to say "Grandma" she would say "la loo" which morphed into "La Lo." So I am Lalo to my grand children. My grandson wants to call me Grandma now, but keeps forgetting. Oh well, I always wanted a nickname growing up . . . and not Bon Bon.

4 comments:

  1. I to am a Bonnie, not a Bonita, but Bonnie
    My grand children call me Nana Bonnie or just Nana, and I also hate being called Bon Bon, We have a friend who calls me Bonnie Bon Bon, geeee I am a grown women.... hate it... that's Ok he is a George and I sing George, George, George of the jungle to him all the time....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, my first comment. I know what you mean. My brother calls me Bonathun, and a friend called me Bonneville. And then theirs the always fun, My Bonnie lies over the ocean. . . Thanks from one Bonnie to another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have a blog! And, of course, I love the name because you are my Aunt Bonnie. :) <3

    ReplyDelete